Frequently Asked Questions

Collapse allExpand all

Children are the future but also the present, they must be respected as social subjects with own views, ideas and feelings. Children should have the possibility to play an active and responsible role in their environments.

Therefore it is necessary to protect their rights and to ensure their full implementation.

If children’s rights are to be implemented, this world will be a different one.

Studying the MACR will enable you to contribute to making this a reality.

Click here to download our flyer

Direct link

Successful graduation prepares you to take on leading positions in the following areas (a.o.):

  • human rights, children’s rights and child and youth aid organisations
  • national and international NGOs
  • international organisations (e.g. EU, UNESCO, UNICEF, UNHCR)
  • research and training related to childhood and children’s rights
  • international development cooperation
  • internationally and intercultural oriented learning
  • migration and refugee work
  • children's advocay/children's ombudsmen
  • social affairs ministries, communal administrations
  • journalism
  • social economy


Nowadays, the society demands more and more independent child representatives. The qualifications one achives at the M.A. in Childhood Studies and Children's Rights are the basis for that field of activity. Mehr dazu hier (pdf). (in german!) 

A more specific description of the occupational area is listed here (pdf) (in german!).



Direct link

The M.A. in Childhood Studies and Children’s Rights was launched for the first time in October 2007. Originally the master was called: European Master in Childhood Studies and Children's Rights (EMCR).

It is possible to enrol in the programme each Wintersemster. The Master lasts 3 semester (courses start in October).


Direct link

You apply directly to the university where you wish to commence your studies. In order to study at Free University Berlin, please fulfill the online application on the following link:




The mask will be online in January.


Application forms can be requested from the above address or are available on our website.


Please note that you have to include all application documents, otherwise the application is not valid.

The number of students is restricted to a max. of 25.

The application deadline is 30 April (to start studying in October the same year)

Direct link

The MA in Childhood Studies and Children's Rights is directed to everybody interested in working in the field of children's rights and in particular to:

- Graduates of social sciences, law, education, social work and graduates of other disciplines with first professional expereinces in working with and for children and/or young people.

- Professionals in governmental and non-governemntal institutions and organisations in the field of youth work, education, social services, health and law with a first academic degree (BA, equivalent or higher).

Direct link

In order to commence your studies at Free University Berlin, you have to fulfill the following entry requirements:

  • Interest to contribute to the implementation of children's rights in different work areas
  • A bachelors degree (BA) or equivalent academic degree.
  • 1 year work experience, after finishing an undergraduater degree (B.A. or similar), in the area of child and youth work, education, social services, health, law, media, international development cooperation or similar areas.
  • Knowledge of English (Level: B2; see also language requirements below)
  • Knowledge of German (Level: B2; see also language requirements below)
  • Submittance of the application documents. More information on the application process are to be found here.


In case there are study places open, persons with 1 year work experience in the above-mentioned areas who do not have an academic degree may study the program, however they do not have the right to the award of the official MA title. A certificate can be issued to these students.

Admission criteria vary at the partner universities. Further information on the requirements at the partner universities can be found on the respective homepages.

Direct link


The M.A. in Childhood Studies and Children's Rights is a joint interdisciplinary study program of East and West European universities.

There are two alternatives on how to study the 1,5 year program:

1. You begin your studies at one university (e.g. FU Berlin) and conclude the program at a partner university in the second semester. Successful graduation leads to the award of a "dual degree" of the two universities you studied at. Please be aware that you have to chose one superviser from each university to obtain a dual degree.

This alternative is available at the partner universities: Freie Universität Berlin, Germany and Universitatea Babes-Bolyai in Cluj- Napoca (UBB), Romania.

2. Students enrol at a "host university" (e.g. FU Berlin) and have the possibility to take a module at a partner university in the second semester. The credits earned are recognized as part of the curriculum at the host university and form part of the degree.

Partner universities are:

  • Freie Universität Berlin (FU), Germany
  • Institute of Education (IoE), University of London , UK
  • Universidad Complutense Madrid (UCM), Spain
  • Stockholms Universitet, Sweden
  • Universiteit van Amsterdam (UvA), Netherlands
  • Universitatea Babes-Bolyai in Cluj- Napoca (UBB), Romania
  • Universitatea Alexandru Ioan Cuza (UAIC), Iasi , Romania
  • Universiteit Antwerpen (UA), Belgien
  • Mykolo Romerio Universitetas (MRU), Vilnius , Litauen
  • Institut Universitaire Kurt Bösch(IUKB), Sion , Schweiz
  • Universidade do Minho, Braga, Portugal
  •  Siauliai University, Siauliai, Litvia
  • Universitat de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain


Exchange is principally organized via Socrates-Erasmus bilateral agreements. There are limited places at each partner university. The selection of students take place via a formal application procedure. But if the student's have already participated at the Erasmus exchange in privious studies, they can not obtain the scolarship again. For more information on mobility in the frame of Socrates- Erasmus, please consult the webpage.

Direct link


If graduates have gained at least 300 ECTS (including previously completed programmes), they will be awarded "M.A. in Childhood Studies and Children's Rights” (MA). Graduates with less than 300 ECTS will be given a certificate.

If applicants have not reached 210 ETCS before the beginning of the master course but they wish to be granted a MA title, they need to submit a short notice which says that they will attain the missing ECTS before finishing our master program. For more information on the ECTS grading system, please have a look here.

Direct link

Most lectures and seminars are offered in English. Candidates whose first language is not English, and the university degree is not earned in the English language, have demonstrate English language skills in the scope of Level B2 (e.g. work/ study/ internship experiences in an English speaking country; native speaker; language  of instruction of previous study program was English). However, it is necessary that your knowledge of English is better than this level. 

Applicants need to have sufficient knowledge of the German language, as some courses are offered only in German. Please submit proof of your German knowledge (Level B2) with your application, or the latest at enrolment. Information on German Level B2 and equivalent testing options here

Spanish knowledge is an asset, as some literature and sources are available only in Spanish (this is not a formal requirement).

At the Free University Berlin, the Master thesis can be written in German, English or (in few cases) in Spanish.

Direct link

With your application you need to submit the proof of one year of working experience. You need to have worked for at least one year after finishing your undergraduate degree (B.A. or similar). Your working experience needs to fit to our master program in the following areas: child and youth work, education, social services, health, law, media, international development cooperation or similar areas.


When submitting proof of your working experience, you do not need  to have be in a permanent position. We also accept internships, voluntary services and community services. Please advice that you have to proof your working experience (contract of employment, letter of reference or other proof by your superior authority) with an exact information on your hours of work.


In case you are a freelancer, please proof your working experience from a third party (fiscal authorities, invoices etc.).

Direct link

Tuition fees for the MACR are paid in full for the whole three semester at the host university, or the university where you begin to study respectively.

At the Free University the tuiton fee is 4350€.

In addition, enrolment fees apply for each semester. At FU Berlin these fees amounted to about 280€ in the winter semester 2012, including a semester ticket for public transportation in Berlin.

Please plan on costs for living in addition to these costs (apartment/room, food, clothing, books etc).


Direct link

The "M.A. Childhood Studies and Children's Rights" (department of Intercultural Education at the Free University Berlin) unfortunately does not have a scholarship program. Nonetheless there are possibilities to acquire funding/a scholarship for studying the European Master, information can be found on the following websites (please click on the blue titles):


German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) (The program also supports internships in foreign countries financially)

Stipendium Plus - Promoting young talent in highter education

Mawista Scholarship for students that have children (forgeiners studying in Germany or Germans that go abroad)

Heinrich-Böll-Stiftung (for non-German students who have obtained their first academic degree from a non-German university)

Bundesministerium für Bildung und Forschung (website only available in German)

Stipendienlotse (website only available in German)

Private german foundations (website only availabe in German)

ERASMUS MUNDUS (for students applying from countries outside Europe)

Semester abroad (for students who wish to study one semester at the Freie Universität)

Studying abroad (for students who are enrolled at Freie Universität)


Direct link

As decided on the 14th of September 2011 by the academic senate, the accreditation of study programs will be processed at the Free University Berlin. The department for teaching and study affairs is responsible for introducing the accreditation ofall  study programs. The AQAS was chosen as the accreditation agency.

You can find further information on the following website.


Direct link




Childhood Studies

Children’s Rights

Methods and Techniques of Childhood and Children’s Rights Research

Semester 1

Semester 1

Semester 1




Work and education of children

Socially disadvantaged and discriminated children and child rights oriented practice

Children and Media

Semester 2

Semester 2

Semester 2




Internship/ Research

Master Thesis

Semester 3

Semester 3






Here you find the updated study program: 2010/ 2011.

Direct link

At the Free University Berlin the following modules are offered:

1. Childhood studies

2. Children's rights

3. Methods and techniques of childhood and children's rights research

4. Work and education of children

5. Socially disadvantaged and discriminated children and child rights oriented practice

6. Children and Media

7. Internship/ Research

8. Master Thesis

More information on the content and qualification of each module can be found in the study regulation (Please be aware that this is the old study regulation, translated from German).

The current study regulations (for the 1,5 year, 90 ECTS program) can be downloaded here (in german!).

The current examination regulation can be downloaded here (in german!).

For information on the contents offered at the partner universities, please consult the respective homepages.


Direct link

The individual modules consist of at least two complimentary study and learning forms (seminars, lectures, tutorials) and are mainly offered in blocks on weekends (Fr, Sa) and Thursday evenings.

The exact plan for 2010/11 can be downloaded here.

The two introductory modules are offered equivalent in content at all partner universities and are accompanied by a tutorial, which is lead through the central e-learning platform of the joint MA at Free University Berlin. In the elective modules, e-learning components are also included.

Please beware that all materials are made available online- it is advisable to have a fast and good internet connection.

Direct link

Each module is concluded with an examination in the form of a written paper of about 5.000 words. For each successfully concluded module, students receive 10 ECTS (European Credit Points). The final thesis is assessed with 20 ECTS. After successfully concluding all modules, students receive a total of 90 ECTS.

Exact information on the examination regulations can be found in the Prüfungsordnung. (in german!)


Direct link

During the program, students can apply to take part in the ERASMUS - program and spend one semester abroad in one of our partner universities. Some of our partners are presented on the following website. Students do not have to go abroad, they can also stay in Berlin for the whole study course.

Please advice that we only have a limited number of free places in our partner universities. Nearly all contracts with our partners are based on ERASMUS - collaborations (except for Cluj-Napoca in Romania). Students that have already been taken part at the ERASMUS program can not apply for an ERASMUS - scholarship. If they are interessted to go to our partner universities anyway, they will have to pay the expenses (tuition fees etc.).


Direct link

Please contact the German Embassy in your country to find out about visa regulations. Students from the EU do not require a visa.

Direct link

For further information please contact Sina Maatsch or tel: +49 (0) 30-838-52734.

Direct link

If you wish to receive personal consultancy, please have a look at the following links. They might be helpful:



Social Counseling

Beratung für Studierende mit Behinderung und chronischer Erkrankung (website only in German)

Students with Children

BAföG, Elterngeld, Kindergeld etc. (website only in German)

ISFU - International students at FU


If you have any questions concerning the study program or your personal studies within the program, do not hesitate to contact the coordination team. For more specified questions, please contact your mentor first.

Direct link

FU Sprachenzentrum offers German Classes at the Levels A2-B2 (CEFR) for students during the semester and in semester breaks.

Placement tests and registration normally takes place some time before the semester starts.

For further information please follow this link.

The Sprach- und Kulturbörse of the TU Berlin also offers German courses. More information are on the following website.

Direct link

The Studentenwerk Berlin provides student dormitory rooms which are available in different districts. The costs range from 75, - and € 250, - €. You can already apply online for a place in a student residence:  Studentenwerk Berlin Studentenwerk Berlin. Also on the website of the Free University of Berlin for more information about finding an apartment in Berlin.

On the search engine: There are also extensive housing deals in the whole of Berlin.
All daily newspapers in Berlin, as well as appearing two weekly city magazines have a substantial housing market. Also on campus there are so-called "bulletin boards" through which you can search for accommodation.

Please check also the following websites:

- WG gesucht

- Craigslist

- Kurzzeit WG

- Klipp und Klar

- WG für Dich

- WG company



Direct link

We are part of the European Network of Masters in Children's Rights (ENMCR). If you wish to receive the ENMCR newsletter, subscribe to CR news at:

Direct link