The Center for Research in Primary Education at the Freie Universität Berlin, Germany, (known by its German acronym "ABP") is an institute for research on teaching, learning, and school development in the area of basic education. Our team of educational science experts initiates, monitors and evaluates school development projects both in Germany and throughout the world.
- We conduct basic research in the area of elementary education and primary level pedagogy.
- We provide advisory and monitoring services for school program work, school development and self-evaluation.
- We offer consultancy services to school boards (private or public), school administrations and government agencies in connection with school development projects and school reforms.
- Working jointly with our clients, we develop regional and national reform concepts and monitor the organizations involved during the implementation of the projects.
- We conduct external evaluations of school development projects, using both quantitative and qualitative methods.
- We offer teacher training courses, including programs for "training the trainers."
- We work in the transition areas from kindergarten to primary school and from primary school to secondary school.
- Our team is multilingual (English, French) and has experience working abroad.
Selection of Recent Projects:
- Social Relationships in Binational-bilingual School Projects: Network Analysis and Qualitative Investigation of Heterogeneity and Foreignness in Two Educational Programs in Saxony
- Evaluation of the school development project "prima(r)forscher" organised by Deutsche Telekom Stiftung and Deutsche Kinder- und Jugendstiftung (school development in the field of science education).
- Research Project Conducted by the Division of Research in Primary Education
- Competency-Based Primary Science Education in Bangladesh: An Evaluation of Fifth Graders’ Learning Achievements
- PONTE - New Approaches for Kindergartens and Primary Schools. Support system for the development of Kindergardens and Primary schools and their cooperation in 4 states..
- Participation in the "Capacity Building Program for Teacher Trainers and Facilitators" conducted by the German training organization InWent in the Republic of Malawi.
- Evaluation of and consulting for the basic education project "Education de Base" in the Republic of Mali.
- Evaluation of the bilingual literacy program in the basic education project "Projet Education de Base" in the Republic of Chad.
- Professional monitoring of the school experiment "Multi-Grade Learning Groups at the Beginning of School Education" (JüLiSA), Berlin.
- Professional monitoring of the school experiment on differentiated performance assessment at Am Rohrgarten Primary School in Berlin.
- Professional monitoring of the citywide school experiment "Reliable Half-Day Primary Schools" in Berlin.
- Development and testing of a pedagogical-didactic concept for the subject of "Lifestyle - Ethics - Religious Studies" (LER) at primary schools and special education schools in the federal state of Brandenburg.
Selection of Clients and Cooperation Partners:
- Federal Ministry of Education, Science and Research, Berlin
- Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports, Brandenburg
- German Corporation for Technical Cooperation (GTZ), Eschborn
- InWent - Capacity Building International Corporation, Cologne
- The Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC)
- German Children and Youth Foundation (DKJS)
- German Bank Foundation
- German Telekom Foundation
- International Academy for Innovative Pedagogy, Psychology and Economics at Freie Universität Berlin (INA)