MSc Cognitive Neuroscience
Please note: The SCAN Master will no longer be offered in the winter semester 2021/22. Instead, the Master in Cognitive Neuroscience will be offered.
About The Program
We offer an interdisciplinary, international Master program in Cognitive Neuroscience taught exclusively in English. The program starts annually in October. See below for details about the admission process.
You find detailed information about the programm via following this link.
There are no designated tuition fees for this Master program. For enrollment, students will face only administrative costs (including public transport service in Berlin, which is a good deal) of approximately 310 € per semester.
Admission to Cognitive Neuroscience is highly competitive and bound to a series of necessary preconditions. Applicants necessarily need to meet the following criteria:
- Bachelor's degree in psychology, neurosciences, cognitive sciences, data sciences, mathematics, physics, biology, computer sciences, both parts of the Certificate of Physician Exam (Ärztliche Prüfung) or an equivalent of the aforementioned fields (if uncertain about the eligibility of your degree, please contact the student affairs office). Graduates of programs in Medicine are also accepted.
- Proof of proficiency in English (C1 level), e.g. TOEFL or IELTS test score. You don't need to certify this if you got your Bachelor degree from an institution with English as official language of instruction or if you are a native speaker. For questions concerning language certificates please check this information.
The admission process consists of 3 steps that run from initial application in April/May to a final admission decision by the end of July (tentatively).
Step 1: Application Period
The submission of application documents for each winter semester is possible in the period from 15.04. to 31.05. online at FU Application Center. This relates to all applicants that graduated in Germany. All students who graduated in foreign countries are to submit their applications to the professional credential evaluation service uni-assist (more information about the process can be found here). The fee for this service needs to be paid by the applicant and can't be refunded.
You apply via Uni Assist or directly here at the Freie Universität Berlin (only with German Bachelor´s degree). Most of the documents are administered online and are eligible for upload.
Please submit the following:
- Application form (only if applying via Uni Assist)
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) in English
- Official copy of the transcript of records from your current academic institution if not graduated yet, otherwise official copy of your Bachelor's degree
- please check which documents are required specially for Uni Assist as well
Step 2: Admission Process
Admission to the Master Cognitive Neuroscience follows a downward point-based ranking ranging from 100-0 selection points (SP), with 100 being the top score.
Applicants meeting all required preconditions will be ranked according to their qualifications. In this process, grades of the undergraduate program will be transferred to a point score up to 60 SP according to the following table. Grades are displayed in the German system - international grades will be transferred via Uni Assist and Freie Universität, respectively.
Subsequently, promising applicants will be invited to interviews that take place in the first half of July (tentatively). The admission commission will evaluate the motivation and qualification of prospective students by means of these interviews and award them with up to another 40 SP leading to a maximum number of 100 SP.
Travel costs will not be reimbursed by Freie Universität Berlin.
Step 3: Final Selection
All approval notifications will be sent out at the beginning of August. Applicants can check their status in the Freie Universität Berlin application portal (Bewerberportal).
Please find the study and examination regulations in both languages
Studien- und Prüfungsordnung (Deutsch)
Resources and Links
Feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further inquiries.